The Court House, Worsley
This grade 2 listed building was built in 1849 for the 1st Earl of Ellesmere to house the manorial court of Worsley. The site has a history of justice of a different kind, as it was previously infamous as the location of the village stocks! The Court Leet, as the manorial court was known, dealt with administrative matters relating to the manor.The last Court Leet was held in 1888, but it continued to be used for sometime afterwards as a magistrate's court. In the 1850s night classes were held there for estate workers and tenants, and later the building was used as a village hall for social functions.
In 1966 the building was purchased by Worsley Urban District Council, was extended in 1967 and passed to Salford City Council in 1974. Today the building is used as a village hall for social functions, including weddings.
We were approached by Salford County Council to undertake the work due to previous works which we had carried out for them. It was a privilege to be involved with the fit out and refurbishment of a building which holds so much history. The Council wanted a full design and build to match their existing function area that had internal pitch pine wall cladding which was to go through into their already established bar area. All works had to adhere to the Council’s recommendations and regulations.
First we had to strip out and upgrade the existing bar area which included new wall panelling and new doors all manufactured offsite by T.A. Knox shopfitters and installed by Equity. We completed a full rewire and installation of a new bar complete with corian bar surfaces and new laminated polished cupboards. The finishing touches were then added including new slate flooring and a complete redecoration. Once completed the new bar area looked incredible.